We made it to the end of the Healthy Eating series with Simple Meal Ideas! By now, you should know that for THIS simple woman, healthy eating is all about balance, simplicity, and affordability. If you don’t, then check out all my posts for this series.
During my last post, I talked about snacks, and guess what? The same applies to simple meals; balance your meals, keep them simple and affordable. Now, when it comes to meals, there are a few things I have learned, I’m sure there are many more, but for now, here are my top three:
Buy One or Two Proteins: I’m not a big meat eater, but my husband is. So, to make our meals more affordable and simple, we buy one protein each week. Now, for us, the trick has been to buy meat that is:
- Easy and fast to prepare.
- Don’t require tons of seasoning.
- After cooked can be combined in different dishes.
Take Advantage of Kitchen Gadgets: I believe we can all agree the days of spending long hours preparing meals on the stove are over. Don’t get me wrong, I do use my stove and other kitchen gadgets that have made my life easier. The winners are:
- Instant pot – I use this for rice, mac-n-cheese, chili, soups, mashed potatoes, and for crazy veggies recipes only I would eat.
- Slow cooker – This one is the winner for cooking tender and yummy meats with a few ingredients and almost no prep time. Set it and let it do the magic for you. If you haven’t done buffalo chicken in one of these, give it a try! You won’t be disappointed.
- Air Fryer – Ok, this is my new best friend!! I don’t fry anything in oil anymore. Even veggies, like broccoli, turned out delicious. This guy is fast, no messy, and healthier.
Less is Better: Yep, this applies to meals as well. I don’t over-complicate my meals with different ingredients. The simplest, the better! So, I don’t cook meals requiring tons of ingredients. Plus, I save money by not buying ingredients that I would use just once for a recipe and then don’t know what else to use them for.
In the end, is on us to find the balance and simplicity that works for us. Do you need all these kitchen gadgets to have healthier eating habits? Of course not. However, these have helped a lot in simplifying my whole cooking routine and making preparing these meals more enjoyable! Here some pictures of the simple meals I have prepared lately. See you next month!
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.